You can login to the GLOW service at https://glow.williams.edu/. Use your Williams username (e.g. abc1) and password.
Find Your Courses
Most courses will be displayed on the Dashboard when you log in to GLOW. It is the first thing you will see when you log in. If you don’t see your course, click on “Courses” in the left navigation, then the “All Courses” link at the bottom of the pop-out to view all past, current, and future courses.
Course Creation and Enrollment
Most courses are created automatically in GLOW based on the information listed in Registrar’s Course & Programs including conferences, lab sections and independent studies. GLOW synchronizes with the Registrar’s system daily and brings over up-to-date enrollment and course information.
Introduction to the GLOW Interface
1. Global Navigation: The links of the global navigation menu at the top of the page access features that are shared by all the courses on Glow you are enrolled in. This menu stays the same no matter what page you are looking at.
2. Course Navigation: The course navigation links provide access to features within the current course.When each course is first created on Glow, by default it will have fourteen areas linked to in the course navigation (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Grades, People, Pages, Files, Syllabus, Outcomes, Quizzes, Modules, Conferences, Collaborations, Settings). As an instructor, you can customize what links are shown in your course and hide from students those that you don’t need in your course.
3. Course Content Area: This is where your course content is displayed
4. Sidebar (context sensitive): The sidebar shows the features available on the page you are currently looking at. The sidebar will change as you go to different pages within your course.
GLOW Course Settings
The “Settings” button within the course navigation menu on the left of the screen is where you can view or update the details of your course settings and its sections. You can also configure what will be available to students in the course navigation menu.
1. Course Details: The details of the course, including its name. These should generally be left as the default, although this is also the place to set your course interface to use a non-English language.
2. Sections: You can manage the different sections of your course and their enrollments, and the people associated with your course and their role. It also has a tool that allows you to consolidate enrollments of cross-listed courses into one. Please consult with your Itech Liaison if this is the first time you’re making changes to the sections of a course.
3. Navigation: You can modify the Course Navigation menu listed of your course. You can hide specific links from students, and drag and drop links to change their order. Links that appear to the instructor as greyed out will be hidden to students.
4. Apps: The Apps tab allows you to view and activate a list of additional tools that are available for use in Glow. Additional documentation of these tools will be coming soon.
5. Feature Options: The Feature Options tab allows you to enable and disable Glow features within a particular course.
GLOW Personal Account Settings
1. Profile: Where you can change your profile picture (Avatar) and your display name.
2. Notifications: You can configure how you will receive notifications from Glow, e.g. do you want to be notified when a student submits an assignment, how frequently, etc?
3. Files: Files can be uploaded to a specific course, or to your personal file repository where they will be available to use in multiple courses. The files link is where you upload and manage your files in your personal file repository.
4. Settings: You can tie Glow in with other web tools that you already use (e.g. Google Docs, Facebook etc). Click any of the services in “Other Services” for detail.
5. ePortfolios: This is a seldom used tool at Williams.
The same content is also available as a downloadable pdf file getting-started.
Back to GLOW FAQ Home