There are many resources available to college faculty and staff when working remotely. Some are straightforward and require no configuration, while some require prior setup or further consideration.
These are resources you can access from anywhere, with any computer or tablet:
- Google Apps for Education (Email, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets etc.)
- Student Records System
- The Glow course management system
- Library services
- OIT services (including password resets and software downloads)
- Check campus voicemail (via web page) and modify settings
- http://oit.williams.edu/telecommunications-upgrade/telecommunications-documentation/voicemail/ (for instructions and setup)
- http://vmail.williams.edu (for voicemail access)
- Participate in on-campus video or phone conferences through Skype or Google Hangouts
To conduct research while off campus using Library resources
- If you need doing research from off-campus, you can always ask a librarian.
Some resources require the use of the Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility (VPN) connector. This software is already installed on college laptops.
- Keyserved and site licensed programs like Stata
- Access to network file services (F and G drives [files1, files2, files3, files4, files5])
- Access to the college finance system
- Access to the college human resources system (or log in with network credentials at the main screen)
- Access to the college student system for people with elevated privileges
- Access to your office computer using Remote Desktop – you can do this from a PC, Mac or even a tablet
- Remote Desktop software allows you to connect to your office computer from off-campus. As with any remote connection, there are security considerations with using this type of software, so be sure to consult with OIT.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) via the Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client
The Cisco Anyconnect VPN client software is already installed on college computers and can be easily installed on tablets or home computers. Go to https://oit.williams.edu/software/ and look for VPN. The VPN offers a way for authorized users to access on-campus resources normally not available offsite.
Security considerations (especially when travelling)
- Tablets and phones used to check email should have a screen lock on them
- Set up “find my phone/ipad” on devices
- Set up remote wipe on devices
- Encrypt your laptop’s drive to avoid data breaches and loss of Personal Identifiable Information
- More on security:
From off campus reading email is easily done through a web browser at http://email.williams.edu
To use a fully featured client like Outlook, Thunderbird or Mac Mail see our Email section for help on selecting and setting up an email client.