There are many resources available to college faculty and staff when working remotely. Some are straightforward and require no configuration, while some require prior setup or further consideration.
These are resources you can access from anywhere, with any computer or tablet:
- Google Apps for Education (Email, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets etc.)
- Student Records System
- The Glow course management system
- Library services
- OIT services (including password resets and software downloads)
- Check campus voicemail (via web page) and modify settings
- http://oit.williams.edu/telecommunications-upgrade/telecommunications-documentation/voicemail/ (for instructions and setup)
- http://vmail.williams.edu (for voicemail access)
- Participate in on-campus video or phone conferences through Google Meet/Hangouts
To conduct research while off campus using Library resources
- If you need doing research from off-campus, you can always ask a librarian.
Some resources require the use of the Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility (VPN) connector. This software is already installed on college laptops but can easily be installed on a personal computer if necessary from https://oit.williams.edu/software/.
- Keyserved and site licensed programs like SPSS
- Access to network file services (F and G drives [files1, files2, files3, files4, files5])
- Access to the college finance system
- Access the the WebHelpDesk system http://ticket.williams.edu
- Access to the college human resources system (or log in with network credentials at the main screen)
- Access to the college student system for people with elevated privileges
- Access to your on campus computer from off campus using Remote Desktop – Instructions here: https://oit.williams.edu/help-guides/computers-and-devices/remote-computer-access/
- As with any remote connection, there are security considerations with using this type of software, see below.
Security considerations (especially when travelling)
- Tablets and phones used to check email should have a screen lock on them
- Set up “find my phone/ipad” on devices
- Set up remote wipe on devices
- Encrypt your laptop’s drive to avoid data breaches and loss of Personal Identifiable Information
- More on security: