Jabber is a presence client that is helpful with remote work. It is software that provides you with:
- Calling from your computer (including video)
- Visual Voicemail & the ability to play/manage voicemail from your computer
- Chat which can easily be switched to a phone call if needed
- Presence (knowing when someone is available to call or chat)
- Integration with Google calendar (currently pc only)
- Call History
- Williams Directory – lookup and call from one search window
- You can make/receive calls on your smartphone and the number will appear as your extension, not your cell phone number.
Jabber is available for Windows 10/11, all versions of MacOS that we support and on Apple and Android phones. Jabber can be a very useful tool for offices that are spread out and for people who aren’t always at their desks (using their cell as their work number).
In order to use Jabber, an account will have to be created for you. To request an account or if you have any questions, please call the Faculty Staff Support Desk at 413-597-4090 or email [email protected]. We also have an online form that you may use to submit the request at http://ticket.williams.edu
- Choose Request Type: WHD Telecom/Phones, sub type: Jabber Account Request
- Specify all the device types (Windows, MAC, Android and/or iPhone) you want to use jabber with.
Note, if calling 911, please use a landline or cellphone.
Installation directions for each device can be found here:
Reviewed 3/1/21 by Terri-Lynn Hurley