Several departments at Williams College use the service MailChimp to send newsletters and announcements out to both on-campus and off-campus subscribers. MailChimp is not a mailing list, it’s an e-mail marketing tool best used for ‘one to many’ formal announcements and newsletters. It’s advantage over a Google e-mail list or a listserv is it provides a number of easy-to-customize e-mail templates, tracking information as to who has opened your e-mail, as well as a friendly web subscribe feature. This tool is offered for free for any campaign with less than 2000 subscribers, after that there will be a cost.
If you are interested in using this tool for your Williams College department there are a few steps you’ll need to take in order to insure your mailing list is recognized by our mailservers as officially coming from an approved williams.edu e-mail source. If you don’t follow these steps some recipients may flag your message as spam and the e-mails will appear as coming from mailchimp.com, not williams.edu
- Once you have created an account and are logged in click on your account name in the top right corner to access your Account information.
- Then click on the ‘Settings’ tab
- Now choose ‘Verified Domains’
- You’ll now see a section mentioning williams.edu and 2 options, verification and Authentication. You’ll see the ‘Verification’ setting already has a check mark, this step has already been completed for you.
- For Authentication you’ll see there is a red X , click on ‘View Setup Instructions’ and then on the window that pops up click ‘Authenticate Domain’ in the bottom left corner. This will then return you to the ‘Verified Domains’ page but you’ll now see there is a check mark next to ‘Authentication’
- You’re all set!
To learn more about MailChimp you can access the online class on “Mailchimp Fundamentals’ at Lynda.com.