Williams College provides employees (faculty and staff) and students each with an email address.We use GMail (G Suite) as our email provider.
Email Address formats
Your email address is in the format [email protected]. That is the address you will use to log in. You can also receive email at the alias [email protected] (You cannot login to Gmail with the alias). For example, email sent to [email protected] and [email protected] will both go to the inbox of the [email protected] account.
STUDENTS: Note that once you graduate you can have the [email protected] address forwarded to a personal email address that you have set up apart from Williams. The [email protected] address will not be forwarded and will stop working. For more information see: https://alumni.williams.edu/articles/emf/
New users initial account setup directions can be found here: https://oit.williams.edu/help-guides/accounts/password-directions-2/
On computers OIT strongly recommends you access your Williams email using a browser as it provides the best user experience within Gmail. It also provides the best integration of Google Drive, Google Calendar and the rest of the G Suite. Google Chrome is recommended but any browser will work (examples: Safari, Edge, Firefox, etc.). Simply go to: http://email.williams.edu (which redirects you to a Google login page).
On mobile devices (smart phones and tablets) OIT recommends using the Gmail app. You can download the Gmail app in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
There are a few settings in the Williams Gmail web interface that you’ll want to review and/or change. Click each below for directions.
By default when you send email it will appear to come from last name, first name. You may want to change that to first name last name or to a nickname.
- Click the gear icon in the top right.
- Select Settings.
- Click the Accounts tab.
- In the “Send mail as:” section, click Edit Info on the right.
- In the “Name:” section, specify what you would like your name to be and click Save Changes.
By default emails of the same subject are grouped together in your inbox. If you prefer all email separated do the following:
- Click the gear icon in the top right.
- Select Settings.
- Click the General tab.
- Next to Conversation View, select Off and click Save Changes.
If you would like to set up an email client on your device click the appropriate directions below for your OS:
MacOS devices can use the built in Apple Mail app instead or along with Gmail's browser interface if you prefer. Just beware that there are a number of known bugs that may effect receiving gmail messages in the mail app. For directions see: https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/add-or-remove-email-accounts-mail35803/mac
On Windows 10 devices if you prefer a client over Gmail's browser interface OIT recommends using Outlook with the G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook app (GSSMO). This will allow you to sync email, contact and calendar data. The setup is a bit technical so feel free to contact OIT for help. To set it up follow these steps:
As soon as Outlook opens your G Suite profile, GSSMO begins synchronizing data with your G Suite account. The first sync will take a while.
- Go the the GSSMO download page and click the .EXE link "recommended for users". https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gssmo/
- Once downloaded open the installer and follow the instructions to install GSSMO.
- After you install GSSMO, you're prompted to sign in with Williams email, E.X. [email protected]
- After signing in through your browser click Allow to provide GSSMO access to your Google Account.
- You should be brought back to the GSSMO setup. Click Create Profile.
- In the next box, click Start Microsoft Outlook.
- If you had a previous Outlook profile you will be prompted to choose your new G Suite profile. Click Options and check the Set as default profile box before you click OK.
- Outlook should now open and you will see the GSSMO sync status window. You can uncheck the box "Open the window when Microsoft Outlook stats" then click close.
- Now look for the GSSMO icon in the Windows task bar (near the clock in the bottom right). Right click the icon and choose "Set mailbox size limit". Choose unlimited and click OK.
Google's Gmail App:
The easiest, most direct and OIT recommended way to access your Williams email from iOS (iPhone, iPad) is via the Gmail app from Google. An overview of the Gmail app can be seen here and you can get it from Apple's App Store here.
Once you install the Gmail App, just sign in using your Williams email address and password.
Apple's Mail App:
You can use the Mail app that comes with iOS, if you choose, though it is a bit more complicated to set up and doesn't have all of the Gmail specific features of the Gmail app. Follow these steps:
On the iPhone home screen, open Settings.
Go to Passwords & Accounts > Add Account, then choose Google.
NOTE: These screens are named differently on older versions of the Mail app and iOS. Choose Mail > Contacts > Calendars, then go to Add Account > Google Mail.
Enter your Williams email address, then tap Next.
Enter your Williams password, then tap Next.
If a message about two-factor authentication (2FA) appears, follow the directions on the screen.
Turn on the Mail toggle switch to ensure that your email can be used. You can also enable other items to sync contacts, calendar events, and notes.
Tap Save. Then Press the home button to exit to the home screen.
We recommend using the GMail app. If it is not already on your device you can install it from the play store. When you first launch it you will sign in with your Williams email address and password.
More details can be found here: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8494?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en