For Faculty & Staff
Apple Gatekeeper security built into macOS makes installation of non-App Store titles a bit of a challenge. To install our instance of Sophos you must do so without a web download. This requires mounting a campus based network volume. If your are off campus you will need to use our VPN to mount this volume. (Please note: Sophos is available for Faculty & Staff)
1. Be on campus or connected with our VPN
2. Hold down the command-K keys, type the following:
3. Click ‘Connect’
4. Supply your username (this means do not include @williams.edu) and password
5. Double click to mount the corresponding DMG in your downloads directory
6. Lastly, run the installer within.
Mac OS X – Sophos Anti-Virus
- 10.11 (El Capitan)
- 10.10 (Yosemite)
- 10.9 (Mavericks)
- 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- 10.7 (Lion)
- 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
To download this software you will need to use your Williams College username and password to authenticate.
Upon completion, Sophos Anti-Virus should be automatically configured for automatic updating and the real-time scanner pre-enabled to remove viruses when they are seen.
To manually update, click on the black shield on your clock bar and choose “Update Now.”
Problems with the installation? Try uninstalling the pre-existing version from your Mac with this Sophos Anti-Virus Remover for Mac OS.
- Windows 10, 8, 7
To watch the progress of the installation just right click on the blue shield near your system clock and choose “View updating status”
The installer is automated and requires no user intervention.
When the installation is complete the option to “Open Sophos Endpoint Security and Control” will be bold when you right click on the white shield containing a blue “S”*
- Windows Defender that is already built in on Windows machines is a good option.
- Macs has its own defenses built in to the OS.
- For those considering other options Sophos has a free Home version for both Mac and PC users.