What happens to my Email and Documents?:
Accounts are disabled three months after leaving the college. Forwarding and auto-reply are disabled one year after leaving. See Automatically forward emails to another account for instructions on how to forward Williams email.
Accounts are disabled on the separation date. Forwarding to a personal account is not allowed. Auto-replies are disabled after three months.
After graduation, students will no longer receive new email in their Williams (gmail) account. Your Williams account including Email, G Suite files (Google Drive), and other Williams associated services (Adobe, Glow, etc) will be deleted on July 1.
What to do before my Email and Docs get turned off?:
Anyone leaving the college should also set up a Gmail Vacation Responder message to let people (and potential employers) know that your Williams email account will be ending and what new email address they should use to contact you in the future.
Vacation Responder will continue to work until 45 days after graduation (even though your account is disabled).
An example Vacation Responder message might be:
Thank you for your message. I graduated from Williams College in June 2016. Please send any future correspondence to my new email address: [email protected]
We recommend using Google's own transfer tool to get your G Suite data (Drive, Email , etc) to a personal Google account More info here: https://takeout.google.com/transfer?pli=1
If you are unable to use Google Transfer here are some other options:
Google Takeout (create archives):
Use Google Takeout to create downloadable archives of your mail, calendar, documents and many other types of Google data
- Formats for each of the TakeOut items: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024195
- Google Takeout FAQ: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190?hl=en
- How to back up and restore Gmail and Calendar files using Google Takeout
Manually Transfer/Export to a personal computer:
Use In App Data Transfer for the following apps only :
- Email: Gmail accounts offer an option to download all mail to your computer via POP or IMAP access with a local desktop client, such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. For POP settings see: Copy-Williams-GAE-to-gmail.pdf
- Contacts: Each email account allows users to export the contacts list in a CSV or vCard format.
- Calendar: Google Calendar offers the ability to download an iCal file to your desktop (limited to calendars that are publicly shared), or you can download all calendars in your 'My Calendars' list.
- Drive: Google Drive lets you save your documents, spreadsheets and presentations to your hard drive in various formats.
- More Google applications: You can find additional information about moving data from other Google applications in the Google Accounts Help Center.
As soon-to-be-graduates, you can migrate your Creative Cloud assets from school-assigned accounts to new Creative Cloud free membership accounts. Take the steps outlined here so you can take your assets with you, graduation.adobe.com.
Your new personal account is a Creative Cloud Free membership, which includes 2GB of storage. If your school account has more than 2GB of content, don't worry, all of your content will be migrated. However, you cannot add more content to the new personal account until storage space is freed up.
Keep in mind the assets will be transferred to a NEW Adobe ID , not an existing personal Adobe ID.