The Williams College Office for Information Technology is hiring multiple, service-oriented Academic Technology Specialists due to coinciding retirements within the team. The Academic Technologists provide technical and pedagogical assistance to faculty, students, and staff for the effective use of technology in teaching, research, and learning. Working closely with other academic-facing staff across the campus, the Academic Technologists provide direct assistance and consultation to faculty on a wide range of teaching and learning topics, support the Canvas Learning Management System, liaise with academic departments, and develop and lead presentations, workshops and discussions. These are full-time, year-round appointments, reporting to the Director of Academic Technology.
The Academic Technology group supports the academic goals of faculty and students in the classroom, in the research lab, in the media studio, and online. We partner with faculty in creative problem solving, drawing from the best practices of the campus and the wider higher-ed community. The successful candidate will be comfortable acquiring new skills, developing and sustaining campus partnerships, framing technology solutions to academic questions, promoting the College’s DEIA goals, and administering a portfolio of online platforms. We are excited to explore the range of skills new team members will bring, and are eager to learn about your knowledge of teaching and learning technologies, data science, media scholarship, or language instruction, and how you might contribute to our team at Williams.
Williams is deeply committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility. The successful candidate will work effectively and respectfully with faculty, staff, students, and vendors from a variety of diverse backgrounds in a collaborative setting.
- Assisting faculty in selecting, implementing and using technologies that complement their pedagogical and research approaches. Suggesting effective instructional strategies and offering solutions for delivering course content.
- Supporting and maintaining Canvas and its ecosystem and providing technical assistance to faculty and students related to its use.
- Serving as liaison between OIT and various academic departments and program areas.
- Developing and delivering workshops, course modules, and other supporting resources for faculty and students.
- Partnering with staff in the Libraries, the Teaching Center, Academic Engagement, and other areas to provide coordinated support.
- Providing teaching and scholarship support in your area of expertise: for example, current projects include media scholarship, data science, videography, data visualization, research computing, digital humanities and podcasting.
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Experience supporting an LMS in the context of higher ed
- A minimum of two years of experience in teaching, instructional technology, or faculty support in higher education
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented organization
We plan to start interviews in January 2023; and will continue until the positions are filled. Pay range is from $70,000 to $80,000, commensurate with experience. Job band 2-E. Please visit https://staff-careers.williams.edu/ to apply – all applications will be reviewed by the search committee.
Conditions of Employment
Employment at Williams is contingent on the verification of background information submitted by the applicant, including the completion of a criminal record check, and education when applicable. COVID-19 vaccination with booster or approved exemption and compliance with COVID-19 related policies are required as a condition of employment at Williams.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Williams College is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn and thrive. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please feel free to contact us via phone at (413) 597-2681 or email at [email protected]