To receive Office 2016 you will first create a Microsoft account using your Williams college email. The setup requires quite a few steps, so keep this documentation open as you go through the process.
In a new tab or window go to https://products.office.com/en-us/student
- Enter your Williams email address (short version e.g. email@example.com)
- Choose I’m a Student
- Check your Williams email for the code. Then create your new Microsoft account as below. Choose a password that is different from your Williams password and make a note of it (write it down or add it to a password manager like LastPass).
- You will then be asked to create recovery options in case you forget your password. Click Next.
- You may get an error warning saying There was a problem processing your request! Don’t panic! Refresh (reload) your web page (this is usually a roundish arrow to the left or right of your address bar)
- After refreshing you should get the account recovery options below.
- Click on Set it up now next to Authentication Email and click finish
- Enter a personal email address (not your Williams email) and click Email Me.
- Check your personal email account for another confirmation code.
- Enter this code at the next screen.
- Click Finish
- Skip sending invitation
- When you get to the Office 365 web site you can then choose to Install (download) Office 2016 from the link in the upper right corner.
- On PC or Mac run the installer from your Downloads folder.
Office 2016 will remain activated for as long as you are a student at Williams