Accounts & Passwords
- Password Changer
- Creating a Strong and Unique Password
- Exiting Employee Techlist
- Initial Account Setup Directions
- Guest Wireless Access
- Guest Accounts
- PeopleSoft Account Login Directions
- Which Login to Use for Various Services
- Accessing Multiple Google Accounts
- Changing Your Workstation Password
- Saving/Migrating Email and Docs when leaving Williams
Networks & Wireless
- PC Networking
- Joining Purple Air
- Mapping a Network Drive (Windows/Mac)
- Wireless Network
- Network Device Registration
- Wireless Application Usage
- Wireless FAQ
- Wireless Glossary
- Working From Off-Campus
- First Days Computing Guide
- Mac Networking
- Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
- Wired Ethernet jacks in Dorm Rooms
- VPN for iOS (iPad, iPhone) and Android Devices
- Proxy Server Set-Up on an iPad
- Wireless Devices in the Residence Halls
- Guest Wireless Access
- Networks / Wireless
- Determining MAC Addresses for Network Devices
Williams College provides free guest wifi access. This network access is provided for the express purpose of facilitating simple Internet web communication.
Use implies agreement with all terms and conditions of appropriate behavior of our Acceptable Use Policy.
In order to connect to this network while on-campus follow these steps:
1.) On your device choose ‘Williams Guest’ SSID from the list of available networks.
Note: This is an open network (non-secure), some devices may not allow connections to an open wireless network.
On a Mac
On an iPhone you will need open Settings and Wi-Fi.
2) A few seconds after your machine connects to this network a pop-up window should appear that looks like this;
3) Please fill in this form with;
Your First & Last Name
Check the box stating you have read & accept our Terms of Service
Your e-mail address &/or your cell phone # and provider. You can either verify via e-mail or SMS txt message. We recommend you choose the ‘Register By E-mail’ option since it will provide you with credentials you can use to access our encrypted ‘Williams Guest Secure’ network.
Register by E-mail
If you register by e-mail you be granted 10 minutes of net access where you can check your e-mail. You will receive an e-mail titled “williams.edu: Email activation required” asking you to confirm your registration. Once you have confirmed this you will be connected to the ‘Williams Guest’ network. You will receive another e-mail with a username & password you can use to connect to our encrypted ‘Williams Guest Secure’ network.
Although optional, we highly recommend you connect to this safer encrypted network.
Register by SMS
If you choose this option be sure to pick the correct cell phone provider for your phone. You will receive a short code to enter in the registration portal. Note this code is case sensitive. Once you have completed this you will be connected to the ‘Williams Guest’ network.
Once you are registered you will have access for 12 hours. Once your registration expires, you may re-register for another 12 hours.
If you have any problems please visit our website at http://oit.williams.edu/ or visit the CET Service Desk in the Center for Educational Technology in Sawyer Library.
IOS Device (IPhone/iPod/iPad) Owners
If you have an iOS device you may get an error saying “Unable to join the network ‘Williams Guest’”. If you get this message please try these suggestions:
Try selecting the ‘Williams Guest Secure’ SSID, it will bring a login prompt asking for a username & password. Ignore that login and press ‘cancel’. After doing this if you don’t see ‘Williams Guest’ in your list of networks press ‘Settings’ in the top left and open Wi-Fi again and then change your network back to ‘Williams Guest’. For some reason this seems to fix some errors
If your device is connected to another network here, or even one that has a similar name, select that network and choose ‘Forget this network’. Then repeat step 1.
Try rebooting your device and reconnecting again.